Navigator+ is pre-loaded with content activities such as quizzes, exams, and health information system simulators. These content can be customized and reconfigured using the Edit Settings form.
STEP 1: Quizzes have checked paper icons. Select a content quiz activity.
STEP 2: Select the Preview quiz now button.
STEP 3: View activity. You may do the activity as an instructor but will not be scored.
Editing Quiz Activities
When you first set up your quiz from Add an activity or resource> Quiz, (or, if you don’t have this link, the drop down Add an activity> Quiz) you will get the following settings, which can also be changed in the Edit Settings link of the ADMINISTRATION pane. All settings may expanded by clicking the “Expand all” link top right.
STEP 1: To edit a, select Turn Editing On button.
STEP 2: Select Edit to edit existing quiz.
STEP 3: You will see the quiz configuration form. Select EXPAND ALL to expose all form field settings.
Below are the configuration settings available in Navigator+:
Add or edit name here (which students will click on to access the quiz) and a description of what they must do, if desired.
The exam schedule dates can be overridden here
- Open and Close the Quiz: Students can only start their attempt(s) after the open time and they must complete before the close time.
- Time limit: If enabled, the time limit is stated on the initial exam page and a countdown timer is displayed in the exam navigation pane.
- When time expires: This setting controls what happens if the student fails to submit their exam attempt before time expires. For example, if the student is actively working on the exam at the time, then the countdown timer can automatically submit the attempt for them.
- Submission Grace Period: If When time expires is set to Allow a grace period to submit, but not change any responses, this is the amount of extra time that is allowed.
- Enable Checkbox: When this checkbox (seen adjacent to all fields) is checked, you can see the fields enabled for edit.
Instructors can configure grade details of an exam here.
- Grade category: This setting controls the category or chapter in which this activity’s grades are placed in the grade book.
- Grade to pass: This setting determines the minimum grade required to pass. The value is used in activity and course completion and in the grade book, where pass grades are highlighted in green and fail grades in red.
- Attempts allowed: The amount of attempts can be set here
- Grading method: When multiple attempts are allowed, the following methods are available for calculating the final exam grade:
- Highest grade of all attempts
- Average (mean) grade of all attempts
- First attempt (all other attempts are ignored)
- Last attempt (all other attempts are ignored)
This section holds page layout settings
New page: For longer exams, it makes sense to stretch the exam over several pages by limiting the number of questions per page. When adding questions to the exam, page breaks will automatically be inserted according to this setting. However, page breaks may later be moved manually on the editing page. The question display will repaginate when the checkbox is selected.
Navigation Method: When sequential navigation is enabled a student must progress through the exam in order and may not return to previous pages nor skip ahead.
Shuffle within questions: Questions can be randomly shuffled each time a student attempts the exam. This setting only applies to questions that have multiple parts, such as multiple choice or matching questions.
How questions behave: Students can interact with the questions in the quiz in various different ways.
- Deferred feedback: If you wish the students to enter an answer to each question and then submit the entire quiz, before anything is graded or they get any feedback. This is the most common mode and the automatic setting.
- Interactive with multiple tries: You may wish for students to submit each question as they go along to get immediate feedback, and if they do not get it correct, have another try for fewer points.
Allow redo within an attempt: (Under Show more button) If enabled, students will see a Redo question button when they have finished attempting a question. This allows them to attempt another version of the same question without having to submit the entire exam attempt and start another one. This option is useful for practice exams. This setting only affects questions (for example, not Essay questions) and behaviors (for example Immediate feedback, or Interactive with multiple tries) where it is possible for a student to finish the question before the attempt is submitted.
Each attempt builds on the last: (Under Show more button) If multiple attempts are allowed and this setting is enabled, each new exam attempt will contain the results of the previous attempt. This allows an exam to be completed over several attempts.
These options control what information students can see when they review an exam attempt or look at the exam reports.
- During the attempt: Settings are only relevant for some behaviors, like Interactive with multiple tries, which may display feedback during the attempt.
- Immediately after the attempt: Settings apply for the first two minutes after Submit all and finish is clicked.
- Later, while the exam is still open: Settings apply after the attempt and before the exam close date.
- After the exam is closed: Settings apply after the exam close date has passed. If the exam does not have a close date, this state is never reached.
Show the user’s picture: If enabled, the student’s name and picture will be shown on their screen and on the review screen during an attempt, making it easier to check that the student is logged in as them in an invigilated (proctored) exam.
Decimal places in grades: This setting specifies the number of digits shown after the decimal point when displaying grades. It only affects the display of grades, not the grades stored in the database nor the internal calculations, which are carried out to full accuracy.
Decimal places in question grades: (Under Show more button) This setting specifies the number of digits shown after the decimal point when displaying the grades for individual questions.
Show blocks during exam attempts: (Under Show more button) If set to yes then normal blocks will be shown during exam attempts.
Extra Restriction on Attempts
The number of tries per skill, per exam attempt settings, can be customized in here. Option to allow users to resume incomplete skill check exams can be set. A network address is required for the extra attempts settings.
Setting a Password: Access to content activity can be restricted by setting a password. If this is set, the student must enter it in order to attempt the exam.
Require network address: Quiz access may be restricted to particular subnets on the LAN or Internet by specifying a comma-separated list of partial or full IP address numbers. This can be useful for an invigilated (proctored) quiz, to ensure that only people in a certain location can access the quiz.
Enforced delay between 1st and 2nd attempts: If enabled, a student must wait for the specified time to elapse before being able to attempt the exam a second time. The Enable checkbox must be clicked for this feature.
Enforced delay between later attempts: If enabled, there will also be a time delay between every attempt after the 2nd attempt. The Enable checkbox must be clicked for this feature.
- Appear in a full-screen popup window that covers all the other windows and has no navigation controls.
- Prevent, as far as is possible, from using facilities like copy and paste.
Feedback is the message that is shown after an exam has been attempted. By specifying additional Grade boundaries (as a percentage or as a number), the message shown can depend on the grade obtained.
Clicking Add 3 more feedback fields will let you specify more specific grade boundaries and feedbacks.
The EHR/PHR integration is custom content in Navigator+. This content comes pre-configured in the course. Contact your Paradigm Education representative for information about these settings.
Common Module Settings
Visible: The Common Module settings can be shown or hidden.
ID number: Setting an ID number provides a way of identifying the activity for grade calculation purposes. If the activity is not included in any grade calculation then the ID number field may be left blank. The ID number can also be set in the grade book, though it can only be edited on the activity settings page.
Group Mode has 3 options:
- No groups: There are no sub groups, everyone is part of one big community
- Separate groups: Each group member can only see their own group, others are invisible
- Visible groups: Each group member works in their own group, but can also see other groups
The Group mode is defined at course level and is the default mode for all activities within the course. Each activity that supports groups can also define its own group mode, though if the group mode is forced at course level, the group mode setting for each activity is ignored.
Grouping: A a collection of groups within a course. If a grouping is selected, students assigned to groups within the grouping will be able to work together.
Access restriction can be set in content activity by setting conditional criteria parameters. Parameters can be nested to the preferred condition. The available student parameters are Date, Grade, Group, and User profile fields. There is also a Restriction set option that allows you to create nested restrictions with complex logic.
Below are options for restrict access.
Creating Quiz Activity and Adding Questions
New content activities can also be added in the Navigator+ as well. Creating new content activity is a two-step process. In the first step, you create the quiz activity and set its options which specify the rules for interacting with the quiz. In the second step you add questions to the quiz. This page describes the options you can set for the quiz activity.
Creating a new Content Activity
STEP 1: Ensure that editing is on then select Add an activity or resource.
STEP 2: Select Quiz under Activities, then select the Add button.
STEP 3: Fill the configuration setting form for the selected. To learn more about activity configuration settings, see Editing Content Activity.
STEP 4: Select Save and display.
STEP 5: Select Edit quiz to add questions.
Or go to the ADMINISTRATION pane then select Edit quiz.
STEP 6: Select Add to display the Add option drop-down.
Select the preferred option in the displayed drop-down menu.
STEP 6: A new question displays a box with a list of question type. Select one that fits your quizzing interaction goals.
From question bank will display a box with list of Navigator+ pre-populated question to choose from. Choose the correct category and then click the check boxes at the side to select specific questions.
STEP 7: Select the Save button when all the preferred questions are selected.
STEP 8: The quiz should is now ready in the Navigator+ platform. You may navigate out from Edit quiz page